Re: [CH] Garlic pickling

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:19:48 -0600

Jonathan,

You will absolutely love Music!  I have a friend that grows many varieties
of garlic that she sells to restaurants & shares with me every year.  I've
refrigerator-pickled peppers with garlic, but not garlic as the main
ingredient.  Recommended reading is Linda Ziedrich's "The Joy of Pickling".
Can't recommend the unrefridgerated Korean one though, but the spices added
look good.

Did a google search and came up with a web site that has recipes that I
think are safe...     http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/pickle.htm

My basic way to refrigerator-pickle anything is to use equal amts 5% acid
vinegar & sugar.  Heat the vinegar just enough to dissolve the sugar and
refrigerate.  Add veggies & desired spices to the cooled mix.  Keep in
fridge for up to a year.

jt

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan Smillie
To: Chile Heads
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 11:47 AM
Subject: [CH] Garlic pickling

Thinking ahead here... this is the first season in which my wife and I
have grown our own garlic (three varieties: Music, Czech Bzenc, and
Russian Giant). It's a long way from here to harvest, but I'm already
thinking about preserving in case we can't use all of what we grow.

I have tasted several varieties of pickled garlic in the past, some with
and some without chiles (though I admit a preference for the former).
Has anyone gone down this road before and come out with wise advice
(other than "Don't")?