Re: [CH] Mantis tiller advice....

Ted Wagner (trwagner1@yahoo.com)
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 04:23:55 -0700 (PDT)

Linda,

I bought one three years ago.  I love mine.  A couple of points to consider though...

A) for what it is, I do think it's a bit over priced.
B) I've not had any mechanical problems with mine, ever.  When it shipped, the throttle wasn't working right.  I called customer service, they told me to box it back up, the next day ups came to pick it up and in a couple days the new one arrived.
C) for most people, it is pretty obvious that in the commercial they use the thing in already loose soil.  ;-)  This is a LIGHT DUTY tiller.  There's no weight and it's a tiny engine.  Expect to spend a LOT of time going over harder soil.
D) mine came with an edger attachment.  I don't think there's much value in this attachment as a $40 edger at WallyWorld does a much better job.  I just don't like the design.
E) due to the size of the tines if the soil doesn't have a high ratio of peat or is 100% dry, expect to stop frequently to clear the compacted dirt.  ;-)

My garden isn't big...I have a bunch of raised beds and most of those are 25% peat and 75% bagged soil.  It works well there and is very portable and easy to handle.  In the places I till the ground where I ammend the soil, it is still easy to handle, but takes a bit more patience.  If you have well ammended and lose soil, it should do well.  But, again, I don't think this would do well in a big garden unless all you were doing was tilling the aisles....spring or fall tilling would be laborious in a large garden.

Ted