Re: [CH] I believe in BBQ

Dana H. Myers (dana.myers@gmail.com)
Wed, 14 May 2008 14:28:32 -0700

=Mark wrote:
> An essay on NPR about the Zen of BBQ.  About 5 minutes long.
>
> There Is No Such Thing as Too Much Barbecue:
>
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4827993

Ah, what a nice essay on a topic near and dear to my heart.
At the risk of bragging a bit...

Earlier this month, I spent a week in North Carolina and
entered into a local BBQ competition (the Edenton Hogfest).
We were one of 12 teams cooking ribs, brisket and chicken,
and it was a great time on the High Ground of barbecue, made
better when our chicken took 3rd and our ribs took 1st - and
we took the Grand Champion trophy for total points.  It was
great for a guy from California and one from Massachusetts
to even play in the game there.

It took me a while to figure out some of the basics; the
first 6 months, I drove myself about nuts worrying about
temperature spikes and marinades, rubs, mopping, sopping,
and opening the lid far too many times.  Eventually, I learned
that BBQ done right is pretty relaxing, even boring.  You get
decent hunks of meat, you season them modestly, you cook
them with lump and a little wood until they're done, and the
fewer times you peek, the better off you are.

A great lesson in life, really.

ObChileHead: I periodically smoke batches of habaneros, and
grind them.  Mmmmmm...

Dana