Re: [CH] Last Night's Dinner: Chipotle Shrimp Scampi

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Tue, 20 May 2008 09:08:27 -0500

Thanks for sharing, Risa!

There is one brand of chipotles in adobo that has decent heat, but darned if
I can remember which one.  4 diff brands available here.  I see 2 cans of
San Marcos brand in the cupboard so you can bet it's not that one.  Growing
cilantro for the first time this year.  Beautiful plants, but don't know how
to harvest it yet.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

jt

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: RisaG
  To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
  Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 3:10 PM
  Subject: [CH] Last Night's Dinner: Chipotle Shrimp Scampi

  A couple of weekends ago, I bought Sara Foster's Casual Cooking. In it is
a recipe for Shrimp Scampi that is made with a chipotle en adobo. I decided
to try it out last night and it was just delicious. This was a hit with me,
altho' Steve thought it was just a bit too hot for him. I only used 1/2 of a
huge chipotle and didn't think it was going to be enough heat. It was!
   Just wonderful!
    * Exported from MasterCook *
    Chipotle Shrimp Scampi
   Recipe By : adapted from Casual Cooking - Sara Foster
   Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
   Categories : Main Dishes Seafood
    2 tb olive oil
    1 lb large shrimp -- peeled & deveined
    sea salt and black pepper
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1/2 red onion -- chopped
    1 chipotle en adobo -- minced
    1/2 cup fish stock -- or chicken broth
    grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
    2 tb cilantro -- chopped
   Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over MED-HIGH heat until hot.
Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and saute for 30 seconds per
side, until they begin to turn pink. Add the garlic, the red onion and the
chipotle and cook and stir around for another minute until the shrimp are
fully cooked. Remove the shrimp to a plate and cover loosely. Add the stock
(or broth or some white wine) to the skillet and simmer over MED heat for 1
minute. Return the shrimp to the skillet along with the juices on the plate
and add the lemon zest and juice. Cook for another minute to combine the
ingredients and coat the shrimp with the sauce. Remove from the heat, stir
in the cilantro and re-season.
   To serve, divide the shrimp evenly among four people and spoon the sauce
over them.
  uge chipotle and it was plenty hot. If the chipotles are smallish then use
one, or 2, depending on how hot you like things.

    RisaG