Re: [CH] Re: Evil corporate types

Tina Brooks (shoestring_louise@yahoo.com)
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:59:21 -0700 (PDT)

Jim's got it right. The fact of the matter is, if you can't prove your case, you can't win.

 Such is actually how we managed to win our Peppermasterâ„¢ . We filed for $400, the ex-partner contested for $50, we filed our response for $500 to which he was supposed to file his proof that he owned it... He never filed... so, by default we won. Peppermasterâ„¢ cost me $900 plus the annual filing fee.

 On the other hand... Pepperfire cost me a the lawsuit ($30-40K depending on what all you include), we won. The partner filed the trademark $400, we contested $50, He filed his resonse $500, we filed our response requesting an extension pending the outcome of the lawsuit, $250, extension granted, lawsuit not terminated, we filed another request for an extension, $250. We were denied and HE was given the mark. Two weeks later, we won the lawsuit, but he's already been given the mark.

 So if you look up Pepperfire a the Trademarks' office, you'll discover that Brooks Pepperfire Foods doesn't own it... yet. Our ex-partner does.

 That said if we want it back now having won the lawsuit, we have to file a request for expungement with the Trademarks office, that will cost $500, IF it's cut and dried and they decide based on the lawsuit to expunge... If by the same token, they decide no, he had the right to file and as such owns it, we will have to file in a court of law to sue him to give up his unlawfully acquired trademark... which of course we will probably win, but lawyers and judges being what they are, there are no guarantees and since it already cost $30-40K to prove in court that we owned the company and he didn't, it could feasibly cost another $30-40K to prove we own the trademark and not he.

 That said... we're likely to simply wait the ex out. He'll eventually tire of paying for the mark or, we'll get into a financial position where it won't kill us to spend $40 kicking his butt in court and we'll end up with our mark.

 Going to the lengths that some companies will go to protect their mark, will we go? Well, at this
epend on our cash flow... either way, we know that since nobody can prove they've used either of these marks in any country longer than us, we'd win... and the ultimate question is who came first, the chicken or the egg... Also, not using your trademark is as bad, someone who can prove they're actively using the mark can have you stripped of yours if you're not using it... So, it keeps people from simply parking on a mark and preventing someone else from using it.

 It gets worse if you're in a situation where you've both been using the mark... you have to prove which one of the two of you has actually behaved as if it were a real trademark... I think those little quirks are the things where a company like Tabasco gets to find itself in a position where it can buy itself into its trademark protections if necessary... And as I said, if you can't afford to do that or if you can, you aren't willing to spend that kind of money... Don't.

 Like Jim, we registered ours, not so nobody else could use it, but instead to insure that WE could. Same goes for Pepperfire.

 The trick in Trademark law is picking and choosing your battles and making sure you have the data to back it up and if you don't to have the bottomless pit of cash you need to.

 Nike is a good example of a trademark purchaser... When they go into a new market they buy their mark from whoever might be using it, even if it's for a purpose other than sports equipment... That way THEY control the mark... It costs some heavy duty coin.

 =====

 Tina Brooks
 VP Marketing, Peppermaster Hot Sauces <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.peppermaster.com">www.peppermaster.com
 </a>Brooks Pepperfire Foods Inc. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.pepperfire.ca">www.pepperfire.ca</a>