Re: [CH] Re: Evil corporate types

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 16:31:14 -0700 (PDT)

Oops.  I fergot this:  Many of those name-specific wines, cheese, etc. are given such protective status to ensure not only authenticity but, unlike a trademark, a limitation of production (which, I assume, keeps prices high).  Only a certain amount of a specific wine (chianti, for example) is allowed.  Extra grapes/juice, etc. must be left to rot, mixed, or whatever, and anything above and beyond the limit cannot be called 'chianti.'  Limiting a product to production of a certain grape, chile, etc. grown *only* in a certain region (or country) limits too (parmesan).

That would probably prevent you from dominating the world with your hot sauces (which probably would, in fact, make you an Evil Corporate type; you'd have to go on my 'list').

But as said, I'm all for ensuring that something calling itself a "tabasco hot sauce" is in fact made with tabasco chiles; I just dislike that someone/entity has found a means (the legality is irrelevant) to prevent everyone else from using the chile name "tabasco" in a product made from tabasco chiles.

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael64