Re: [CH] Re: Evil corporate types

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:29:39 -0500

jim@wildpepper.com wrote:

> (An enterprising tire maker in Illinois started making
> tires under the brand name of "Hoosier"- which for those that don't know
> is the nickname of anyone from Indiana.)  A poor analogy maybe, but
> workable:  If I were to start making tires now and called them
> "Hoosier", based on the fact that I was a Hoosier and my people had been
> making tires forever, my claim- based on regional, non-specific usage-
> would (should!) meet the same fate as someone trying to cash in on
> someone else's hard work and branding.

Except that the ownership of Hoosier Tires is Bob Newton and his
family of South Bend, Plymouth, and Lakeville, IN. They grew to be the
worlds biggest dirt track racing tire manufacturer from humble
beginnings in a re-treading shop in a pretty rough neighbourhood of
South Bend. Bob and Joyce Newton are frineds of (and former employers)
of mine.

You may possibly have the Illinois connection mixed up with Hoosier
Tire Midwest (Newton's largest warehouse distributor) owned by Mike
Allgaier - also a friend and former employer.

Newt doesn't do chilli AFAIK. Gator does.

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAHOOOOAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... Old age is the most unexpected of things that can happen to a man.
  -- Leon Trotsky