Re: [CH] Bumblebee Tuna and extracts...

Tina Brooks (shoestring_louise@yahoo.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:49:28 -0700 (PDT)

I trust Greg to cook for me long before I'll trust Bumblebee. lol!

Okay, so Epicurious says that Paprika is just pure ground peppers... That's one way to make it.

The FDA says it is something else... It can be used for colour or for heat, some food manufacturers use it for both...

So which is it, it's there for the colour or it's there for the heat? And worse... as a consumer... how do you know?

Fwiw, the CFIA lists Paprika as a known wheat source, so unless you're certain that Bumblebee tuna's use of "paprika" is the pure powdered chillies that one might purchase at the grocery store, I'm not so sure. One sort of wonders how "wheat" gets into pure ground chillies.

As a food manufacturer, if we were to use paprika, we would ground the peppers ourselves to be sure it was pure pepper, but more often than not, pepper powders, unless specifically marked as 100% pure, contain fillers and some even contain other spices.

Just another way for food companies to hide from consumers the crap they're putting into our food.

I thought this was cool... Judge for yourself: http://tinyurl.com/4s5qot

The longer I'm in the food business the more skeptical I am of commercial food products.

=====

Tina Brooks
VP Marketing, Peppermaster Hot Sauces <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.peppermaster.com">www.peppermaster.com
</a>Brooks Pepperfire Foods Inc. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.pepperfire.ca">www.pepperfire.ca</a>