RE: [CH] Hatch chiles clarification?

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:34:04 -0700

I had to lower the heat to toast them, but I did it just like you would
toast corriander, cumin, or oregano prior to grinding. But I did not set
them on fire. Like you I didn't see the point. It's supposed to give black
mole the characteristic slight bitterness. I'll ask my local Oaxacan
restaurant (which should be just opening about now) and report back.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Thompson [mailto:brent@kanha.hpl.hp.com]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 12:43 PM
To: John Sphar
Cc: 'H.A. Kantrud'; 'Mark Ellis'; 'Chile Heads'
Subject: Re: [CH] Hatch chiles clarification?

Thanks.

> Over the same heat, toast the chile seeds, taking care to blacken but
> not burn them, about 20 minutes.

I can understand this.

> When the seeds are completely black, light them with a match and let
> them burn themselves out.

I can't understand this.

Doesn't this just turn those seeds into ashes?  Or at best, charcoal?  Do
you think they end up confering any different, and in particular any better,
flavor than just adding a tablespoon or whatever of ash from burning, say,
corn husks?  Or, better than just using the comal-blackened seeds without
lighting them on fire?

 ---   Brent