Re: [CH] History

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:34:35 -0700

JohnT wrote:
>    BIG snip! And trust me, my mom's ccc was not very
> hot. Uff da!  I have at least one vintage cookbook from that era.
> (local churches (usually Lutheran) used to publish cookbooks now and
> then featuring recipes from local church people.  Any talk radio fans
> here of Garrison Keillor might relate.  Loved lefse, but let's not talk
> about lutefisk.
>

> JohnT

Even further back than my previous post on How we all got Hooked!:-)or
chillified if you will. When I was a young teen I knew a young lady
whose last name was Tollefson, and her father was very Scandinavian.
Later on in both his and our lives, we came to know each other better,
and he had spent 10 years in India as a diamond drill expert. So, one
time when he and his wife came to visit, I made Irish potato farl. Lefse
to the Scandinavians. I was informed by Tolly, that was the best lefse
he had had since he left his parents home many long years before!
An interesting aside here, about potatoes, and where the folks from
Scandinavia found out about lefse. The Danes, who were still plundering
Ireland, mostly to leave red headed kids around as souvenirs!! took home
with them the potato and made lefse, which is identical to Irish potato
farl!
About the Scandinavians and hot food, we have a Danish son in law, and
his heat tolerance, even though we have been trying to "slide" him into
a more heat tolerant mode, still is very reluctant to eat anything even
remotely hot! Tough on him, he has a wife who was brought up on chiles,
and a daughter, who just turned 16, who also has a great love for hot
and spicy. I ordered a couple of Jim C's gift sets to give her last
Christmas, and she has finished one of them already! During Spring
break, she and about 30 other kids from her school spent 2 weeks in
Spain, which included a trip to Morocco, and she picked up some stuff
for me and herself while there. Even had a ride on a camel! Big deal for
a 15 year old, as she did not turn 16 until June 1.
So, guess the taste buds of the folks from Denmark, Sweden, Norway, must
be all frozen over, from years of all that northern cold! Wait a minit!
They are in the same latitudes as Canucks! Must be another reason! It is
their penance for impregnating all those Irish gals!!
Cheers, Doug in BC