RE: [CH] supporting chile plants

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:13:55 -0700

Those ladders sound good. Don't think I ever saw one though. Here's my
strategy for supporting tomatoes and big chiles: A couple years ago I bought
a 100' roll of concrete reinforcing wire -- it's just a very thick guage of
chicken wire with large squares. I made about fifteen cages, by bending them
into a circle, cutting them and using the remaining length of wire to bend
around the other end. But I had to buy some beefy wire cutters. So I have
5-foot cages, straight all the way down. They're great for tomatoes,
especiallly indeterminate. The tapered cages I use for smaller plants.
Pest-wise where I have my garden, it's next to a huge oak tree and we have
squirrel problems all the time.

John S.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of margaret lauterbach
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 5:47 AM
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] supporting chile plants

Alex, I use those cheap 3-ring otherwise useless tomato "supports"
over all of my chile and eggplant plants.  Thus I don't worry about my dogs'
roaming through the garden watching for mice and voles.  Chile plants are
brittle, and only once has one of my dogs damaged chile plants in the
garden.  Then, in hot pursuit, my strong wire fox terrier snapped a
heavily-fruited chocolate hab off at soil line, knocking over the cage as he
went.  I picked off all of the fruit and sent them to Don, since they were
hotter than I can tolerate.  Those three-ring cages should be very cheap at
end of season, or perhaps even now.  Margaret L