Re: [CH] Too much sun?

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:31:24 -0500

Jonathan Smillie wrote:
> I planted ten habanero plants (a mix of Caribbean Reds and regular
> orange habs) in a raised bed at the bottom of my garden about five weeks
> ago. In that location, the plants are exposed to full sun for most of
> the day, with shade from a butterfly bush to the west in the later
> afternoon. We've had a very hot early summer- temperatures in the 90s
> for the first two weeks of June - with reasonable amounts of rain, going
> a week to two weeks without, but getting good soakings afterwards, and
> we water when necessary.
>
> I'm finding that I am getting negligible growth in terms of plant height
> and new vegetation, and although all my plants have put out flowers, a
> great many have dropped without fruiting. Is it possible that my plants
> (which according to their plant tags are "full sun") are getting too
> much of a good thing?

Anything is possible. Is there anything else planted nearby (same
soil)? How is it/they doing? What is your soil chemistry like? Most
anything can get sunburned ... what do the leaves look like.

Flowering and having blossom drop sounds like something other than sun
is your culprit.

All of the above is based on me making WAGs ex-cathedra from behind
the lint in my navel. I'm sure others will ring in with their WAGS as
well. But, comparing plant growth with other things in the same patch
of soil and checking the soil chemistry are the first things I would
check.  Good Luck.

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAHOOOOAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... Finance is the art of passing money from hand to hand until it
finally disappears. -- Robert W. Sarnoff