Re: [CH] using a dehydrator to dry chiles?

JohnT (love2troll@kc.rr.com)
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:15:03 -0500

Jim,

Nothing better than freezing pods if you intend to dehydrate for powder
and/or flakes.  The freezing ruptures the cell walls and speeds up the
drying.  Most varieties I cut in half before freezing and remove seeds being
careful to leave as much of the placenta as possible.  Dehydrate with the
cut side up and I've settled on a temp of no higher than 130°F.  I would
like to go even lower, but it is just too humid here in Misery and it takes
3-4 days as it is for pubes, jals and many of the baccatums.

jt

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Graham
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 9:46 AM
Subject: [CH] using a dehydrator to dry chiles?

How well do food dehydrators work for chiles?  Do the peppers maintain
their flavor and heat?  Or does it screw them up?

I'm looking for a way (without the high-salt + vinegar mash[1] or
freezing[2]) to preserve peppers from my garden until I'm ready to
use them, which could be the same day, or it could be a month or
more...and, of course, habs don't store well, even in the fridge.

Any suggestions on brand/model (can't spend more than about $30),
settings, etc.?

Thanks,
   --jim

[1] I *REALLY* don't need all that salt...and I dislike the taste
    of excess salt.  I DO have a salt shaker somewhere...but I don't
    know where it is.

[2] Any time I freeze peppers, they get all mushy when thawed.  If
    someone knows a way to prevent that, please let me know!

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >
spooky130@cox.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM/Hurr.: 30.39735N 86.60439W