Re: [CH] using a dehydrator to dry chiles? (update/new question)

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:21:20 -0500

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:58:16AM -0400, Jonathan Smillie wrote:

> The model I had was the basic Ronco (without a fan) and up to six
> stacking trays. A friend gave me his, but I had previously priced them
> at Target for around $39.

I just bought a Ronco at K-Mart for $39.  It's the 5-tray model (heat, no
fan, manual rotation of trays).  I put whole peppers (habs and cayennes
picked over the last few days) in using 3 of the 5 trays.  I started with
the habs on the bottom, since they're going to be the slowest.  Smells
really nice, but that has me wondering, once again, how much flavor am I
losing during the dehydration process?  Am I losing any heat?

New question (off-topic, but I don't know where else to ask), partiularly
for those in Texas (the only place where I've seen this).  I've always
preferred the type of beef jerky that you get from, for example, little
ma and pa gas stations along the fm roads, usually out in the middle of
nowhere...I'm talking about the type that is big and thick---about 4--5
inches long and about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, has big chunks of black
pepper all over it, and usually has a bit of white string through one
end with a price tag and brand name on it.  They're usually sold out of
a jar on the counter (no packaging) for (years ago) several dollars per
piece....  Sound familiar?

I haven't seen any jerky like this for years, and I've basically come
to the realization that if I want some, which I do, I'm going to have
to make it myself.  Does anyone know how (starting from my knowing
exactly nothing except that I'm going to be buying some cut of beef)?

Thanks,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | "Now what *you* need is a proper pint of
spooky130@cox.net       | porter poured in a proper pewter porter