Re: [CH] List problems?

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:43:07 -0500

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:00:06AM -0400, =Mark wrote:
> There are never problems with the list.  To suggest such a thing is
> heresy.

Ok, then, I'll rephrase it to avoid mis-interpretation by those who
don't automatically interpret such questions as indicating a technical
problem, such as a network outage, system outage, etc.)...not "problems
with the list" ... but problems with either the hardware that the list
is processed on, or the network between my systems and the list.

> If there are problems they are at your end.

Unless they're not.  They could be due to a hard disk failure on the
system(s) hosting the list.  They could be due to a T-1 (or T-3, or
OC-3, or whatever connection is involved at any given point along the
network path).  As just suggested, they could be due to a network
problem between ends.  As a network engineer with a good amount of
Unix experience (and, sadly, I've had some M$ forced on me, too), I
can name all kinds of possible system/network failures that could
cause problems with e-mail delivery to/from the list.

Yes, of course it makes sense, assuming no info suggesting otherwise,
to look at your own system/network first, and that's exactly what I
did...before sending my question to the list (which, of course, if the
list's system/network ws down, would not go anywhere...but if I got my
own e-mail back, the path test would clearly show that the list was up
and running just fine...as it, in fact, did indicate).

> Don't expect the list to change to accommodate your individual needs.
> We like it as it is.    :-)  (sort of)

If the network link to the list's server were down (which my receipt of
both my e-mail to the list and your reply clearly indicate is not the
case), would you still "like it as it is"?  Or would you "expect it to
change"?

I know your reply was in jest...and was referring to the previous round
of questions about the list.  I had all of that in mind when I posted
the question.  But I did want to point out the validity of my question,
as posted an hour ago (btw, I still haven't gotten the response in
question...for all I know, it might be the first person actually
answering my request for ideas for the hot sauce I'm making in the next
day or two).  Thus this reply.

Oh well.  Hey, what do you know...we're finally getting that 80% chance
of rain we were expecting yesterday.....  Good news for the pepper
plants!

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >
spooky130@cox.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM/Hurr.: 30.39735N 86.60439W