Re: [CH] another batch of hot sauce+questions ... one last attempt

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 18:18:16 -0500

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 06:59:17PM -0400, Jonathan Smillie wrote:
> JohnT wrote:

> like, as long as your resulting product has a sufficiently acidic pH (at
> or below 4.5, IIRC) to avoid growing any nasty bio-beasties. So you will

I've lost my pH strips (and can't find them locally)....  I keep thinking
I should order them from a semi-local homebrew shop (they used to be
local...then they moved a few hours away), but each time I think about
it, they're closed...and since I know them, I really prefer to call.
I'll remember one of these days during business hours.  That, or I'll
just order from Cynmar Scientific, along with a few other things I need.

> want to offset your peaches and mangoes with some form of acid, be it
> lemon juice, vinegar or otherwise.

As mentioned in the original message, it'll be lime juice (4 limes) and
vinegar.

> .... as I am by no means an expert;

Nor am I.  :-)

> you're planning on using, but I cook my sauce base at 195 degrees for at
> least 5 minutes (usually 10) and then blend with the peppers, following
> which I hot-fill sanitized bottles.

Yep, that sounds exactly like what I'm planning.

> Hope this helps,

It does...thanks.

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)                  |        |\      _,,,---,,_
< Running FreeBSD 7.0 >           | ZZZzz  /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_