Re: [CH] Question for Texas CH'ers

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:24:26 -0500

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 09:56:17AM -0500, J. Patrick Donohoe wrote:

> I have had the same experience growing these peppers in containers (I
> always thought they were called "Tepin" or "Chiltepin" or "Bird Pepper").

There are two varieties.  The one native to Texas is the Chile Pequin (at
least, that's its name in Texas ... along with various mis-pronunciations
of the name, such as "Chile Peppeen").  As I understand it, the Chiltepin
aka Chile Tepin is more or less the same pepper, except for its location.
I don't know if there's any real difference beyond that....

What we really need is a guide (with photos and descriptions of key
features) for identifying different varieties of peppers.  I'm trying
to find one for Thai chillies now (Thai Market---just a few minutes
walk from where I live, has some that are very hot, and some that are
"very not"...but they look virtually identical, at least, to me---the
Thai folks who own/run the store know the difference instantly, but I
don't know how they do it, and they're always too busy with customers
for me to ask).

Speaking of Thai Market...I think I'll go get some Pad Thai supplies.
We're going to be drowning in rain from Fay this w/e, and some Pad Thai
sounds like a nice thing to make...and it's an excuse to get on my new
21-speed mountain bike and get some exercise and fresh air....  I'm
fairly certain I won't be able to ride this w/e....

> The are finicky to germinate [...] in containers

Ahh, yes...I forgot to mention that.  Thanks.  Very true.

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >
spooky130@cox.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM/Hurr.: 30.39735N 86.60439W