Re: [CH] Re: Question for Texas CH'ers

J. Patrick Donohoe (donohoe@ECE.MsState.Edu)
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:42:33 -0500

Jim,

Here is the pepper I am talking about (tepin) ... and it is definitely "roundish".

http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/tepin-peppers-a-habanero-killer/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltepin

Here is what I would call a pequin (or piquin) ... more of the normal pepper shape.

http://pepperfool.com/images/peppers/piquin/piquin2.jpg

Pat

Jim Graham wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:00:00PM -0400, chilehead@tough-love.com wrote:
>> There are two small chiles that grow wild in the southwest. Pequin
>> (Piquin)is bullet shaped and Chiltepin (Tepin) is round.
>
> The one I'm talking about is commonly known (in Texas) as the Chile
> Pequin, not Chiltepin.  Granted, that doesn't mean that everyone I've
> ever heard refer to it by name is right---they could all be wrong (no,
> I'm not joking...it is possible, and I certainly would not rule it out).
>
> I just measured the one I picked this morning (the first this year):
>
>    Length:  approx. 7--8 mm
>    Width:   approx. 4--5 mm
>    Color:   deep red
>    Heat:    Very nice....  ;-}
>
> and this one is absolutely typical of the size and shape pepper I'm
> referring to.  If you didn't measure it, you'd probably call it round.
> They're really too small for the difference to matter (at least, to my
> eyes).
>
> Later,
>    --jim

J. Patrick Donohoe, Ph.D, P.E.
Professor
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Mississippi State University
Box 9571
Mississippi State, MS 39762

        Email: donohoe@ece.msstate.edu