Re: [CH] Semi OT - food savers?

Constance Allen (constance_allen@charter.net)
Wed, 3 Sep 2008 15:10:13 -0700

I've had and used a food saver since 2000; the Professional II.

I bought this one because of its capacity to squeeze/pump air out of
containers plus vacuum sealing for freezing.  Does a wonderful job of
vacuum sealing, not so good "squeeze/pump air out of containers".
Although, my daughter uses her "squeeze/pump air out of containers"
all the time.  It works for her.

My 2 daughters and my son have the savers that require you to use the
lock down closer feature to vacuum seal the food.  I find that a
hassle; mine doesn't.   However, all of the kids love theirs.

I use mine (and my kids when I'm at their homes) to vacuum seal meat,
chicken, fish, soups (previously frozen), nuts, dried fruits,
sausages, cheese, fresh fruits such as marianberries & blueberries,
(previously frozen, then vacuum sealed), which are native fruits here
in Oregon,  freshly squeezed lime & lemon juices (previously frozen,
then vacuum sealed).  Fresh tomatoes are problematic.

I dehydrate tomato slices, but puree tomatoes, freeze, vacuum seal and
then back into freezer.

Chilies I just freeze, although, I think that some blanch before
freezing.  I'm lazy!

I also freeze garlic that I buy in bulk at Costco.  I chop, measure
into 1 T increments, then freeze.  I freeze the cloves whole in
packages of 5.  I lived in Garlic country (south bay area of
California) 35 years.  Garlic can be frozen in cloves on a baking
sheet, then bagged.  This is done if your garlic starts to sprout and
wilt.

Cheers,

Constance Allen