Re: [CH] Growing in pots

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:38:03 -0700

Byron wrote:
> Another  tip
> Bury the pot  up to about the last inch
> 1. This will be more solid  in a thunderstorm
> 2. The roots will be cooler
> 3. It will take less water.
>
> I use only 1 plant per pot, I think the yield per plant in higher.
>

> Just my 2¢
>
> Byron

As Byron is likely aware, I have been growing in pots for over 20 years.
We always get a great yield of chiles and tomatoes, which is really all
I grow. As I still have a bag of last years peppers dried in our
storeroom, this year I only grew two plants, a Thai and a Caribbean
Red hot. One pepper per pot, but I companion plant a basil plant beside
the pepper
and with the maters I have planted a marigold. And a planter of
nasturtiums near by. All I have is a large concrete deck, facing south,
and we get sun there all day long when the sun is shining. One end faces
east, other end faces west, so we get good light all day. And Marie has
set up a watering system with either bottles of the little square pots
the seedling plants arrive in. She buried those beside the plant to the
lip, and simply fills those with water. Or the bottles, either one. Works!!
We grow rosemary, parsley, Italian oregano,(although I really don't know
why, a friend in Mexico sent me a huge box of Mexican oregano the other
day)sage, thyme, mint and chives. We also won a HUGE hanging basket of
flowers at our annual Canadian Military Photographers Assn.,Western
Canada Chapter. We had folks show up from right across Canada, a very
active Chapter.
Looking for a good "tea" to spray the peppers and maters, non toxic or
at least non chemical. Any Ideas???? Byron? Anybody?
Cheers, old Doug in BC, slowly getting over whip lash and now have a
physio working on frozen shoulder, after tripping over a step stool
sitting where it should not have been in an aisle at WallyWirld! Oh well
I suppose eventually I will be back to normal! Whatever my normal is :-)