Re: [CH] need help w/ pressure cooker (aka poor man's autoclave)

Jim Graham (spooky130u@gmail.com)
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 15:35:01 -0500

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 04:05:52PM -0400, =Mark wrote:
> We used a pressure cooker to sterilize agar culture tubes and
> containers of oats for growing mushrooms in college (a biology ptoject
> OK?).  We used about 1.5 inches of water for a 20 QT cooker, I expect
> you would use less.  We cooked ours for one hour but we were using
> quart mason jars for the growth medium which had a larger mass than
> what you're working with.  Otherwise the procedure sounds good...

Many thanks....  Btw, I forgot to mention that I might also be making my
own agar slants in the future...ordering them is just way too expensive,
particularly when compared with buying the tubes from Cynmar and making
them myself.

Now, if I can just salvage my favorite BrewTek yeast strains from their
excessively-long, dormant sleep....

Thanks again,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        MiSTie #49997  < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >
spooky130u@gmail.com ICBM/Hurricane: 30.39735N 86.60439W

        Do not look into laser with remaining eye!