[CH] Growing in Buckets

Byron (byronbromley@tellink.net)
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:03:50 -0400

Dan

Cactus  mix  has a soil PH  of  about  7.5 to 8.0,  very alkaline

Peppers  like a  slightly acidic pH  like  a pH of  6.5  to 7.0

It  would  take a  lot of  sulphur  to  drop that  pH,  and  the  amount  (about 10lbs)  would be toxic to the plant)

Odds  are  you would be better off  to remove the plants from  the pots,  Wash all the potting  soil off,  add  some  neutral potting  soil  and a little manure tea. a  Tbsp of  epsom  salts

Just my 2¢

Byron

From: Dan D Niles <dan@more.net>
Subject: [CH] Update:  Growing Peppers in Buckets

Thanks for all the advice!  I should have plenty of peppers this year.

I read on a web site somewhere to use Miracle-Grow cactus mix to grow
the peppers.  I wasn't sure, so I did a little experiment.   I used all
cactus mix in two pots, and 1/2  cactus mix 1/2 potting soil in the
other two pots.  I have one jalapeƱo and one habanero in each soil mix.

The all cactus mix plants are puny and very pale green.  The 1/2 & 1/2
plants are a deep rich green and probably 3 times the size of the
others.  The 1/2 & 1/2 jalapeƱo plant already has at least 15 peppers on
it, compared to 2 on the other.  I'll try to post some pics later today.

So, any speculation as to why the cactus mix plants are doing so poorly?
Are the pots draining too well and not giving the plants enough water?
Or are the nutrients different/insufficient in the cactus mix?  Do you
think there is something I