Re: [CH] Canadian Bacon

shoestring_louise@yahoo.com
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:31:21 +0000

Aha! Streaky bacon is thus that which we serve with eggs, once smoked in maple syrup, it ceases to be what is commonly referred to as grillades here in Kwebec.

Say, Doug, did you get a Barbecue Bahamas? Perfect for barbecuing side bacon (grillades) or back bacon.

Gotta tella ya, I, for one, would have guffawed had you told me I'd learn anything about bacon from this list!

------Original Message------
From: Doug Irvine
Sender: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
To: jccisn@gmail.com
To: chile Heads
To: Tina Brooks
ReplyTo: Doug Irvine
Subject: [CH] Canadian Bacon
Sent: Jul 10, 2009 7:29 PM

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/canadianbacon

Hey Hosay!!Joe, dunno what you will have but but Canadian bacon it AINT!
I was born in Toronto circa 1926, my father born in Ireland 1886, so we
were brought up on Irish/Canadian peameal back bacon. I never ever had
any of the streaky bacon that the English talk about, and what is called
side bacon in Canada. Once in a long time my mother would buy side bacon
and my father would complain that it was NOT bacon! So here in Canada,
at least, we are able to buy Back Bacon, corn mealed or not, everywhere
in this great land that we have lived, from Ontario, to Manitoba, to
Alberta, to British Columbia. At our local Costco we are able to buy it
in chunks, or sliced in vacuum packs, and it is reasonably inexpensive
considering that it is solid meat, no fat, no waste. It is NOT smoked,
and as it has not been cooked, it must be cooked before eating. Our US
cousins come up here and the first thing they do if they know about our
bacon, is head out and buy some!
Good luck with whatever if is you made, Joe. It will be a very sweet
salty meat, but....IT AIN"T BACON!! :-))
Cheers, Doug in BC