Re: [CH] Coffee and "Bacon"

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:23:17 -0500

Jose Cisneros wrote:

>> I don't understand why anyone would want to simmer the thing first then
>> roast it, unless they wanted to get rid of some of the fat and almost all of
>> the benefits of brining. To me, this would be much better if it were brined
>> for a day and then put in the smoker at about 250 for three or four hours.

> The reason for the simmer is to remove some of the excess salt and sugar.
> Once the meat has had time to cure there's no further need for the
> action of the brine.

> Allowing the meat to rest 24 hours after rinsing then simmering helps
> even out the salt content.

> I don't simmer the meat long enough to do the fat any harm.
> Brining for a day would be good, but it would be more like a marinade.
> This is more like making corned beef.

OK, fair enough. I have made "bacon" using pork butt (see my post to
Doug) and it's quite a bit different than what I tasted in my mind
reading your recipe. Yours will come out nice - it's really hard to
ruin pork, except by overcooking it.

Does your process give the coarse texture of corned beef brisket to
the pork? Just curious.

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAHOOOOAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. -- Isaac Asimov