Re: [CH] Smoking habaneros

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:46:16 -0400

Jonathan Smillie wrote:
> Hi Pods!
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with experience smoking
> chiles, particularly habaneros. I'm interested in doing something a
> little different than my usual drying and powdering or making hot
> sauce, and I've got (weather cooperating for the rest of August and
> September) enough on the vine that I can experiment a bit.
>
> Feel free to contact me directly or post to the list if you think it's
> of general interest.
>
> Jonathan
They can be tough to keep lit in your pipe.....  I stem them and cut
them in half.  I use a Little Cheif smoker - it uses a hotplate and a
pan of wood chips.  Or you can spread them out on aluminum foil in your
gas grill.  Wrap your wood chips in heavy foil and poke a few holes in
the foil.  Position the wood chips over a burner and the chiles away
from the burner.  Keep the tempurature as low as you can, while still
producing smoke.  I use fresh apple wood.  If you are using dry chips
from the store, you might want to soak them a bit in water before
using.  I use them both dried and ground and as a mash.  Ground smoked
habs are great in brownies or chocolate cake, about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
per box of mix.

Hobby Farmer