RE: [CH] Chicken Paprikash

Frank J. Hashek (fhashek@comcast.net)
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:56:15 -0400

Alex,

You made me hungry with the story, but you forgot to include Mom's old
recipe.

Still hungry,
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Alex Silbajoris
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 8:19 AM
To: chile heads
Subject: [CH] Chicken Paprikash

Pods,

This is one of Mom's old recipes that goes back as far as I can remember.
We had a whole chicken and we decided to do this.  Mom was drowsy, though,
so she started it and I finished it.  I nailed it, and without paprika, I
used the OF08 pods I called "curly red" that I'm growing this year.

We have many old cookbooks and Mom's favorite recipes like this, or beef
stroganoff, are scattered among them.  I found a few chicken paprikash
recipes and approximated something like them.  But I was surprised that we
didn't have any typical Hungarian paprika on hand.  So since those curly
reds are about at 5 on a scale of 10, I thought they'd do.  It worked!  The
recipes also called for some green bell peppers, but I substituted some
unripe New Mex.  And instead of tomato paste, I diced up an heirloom tomato.
Shut the lid on the Le Creuset and let Nature take her Course.