Re: [CH] Pepper puree

KnoxBill (knoxbill@comcast.net)
Wed, 16 Sep 2009 19:59:52 -0400

Jonathan Smillie wrote:
> Re: OF harvests (potentially) and my own (actually), I have been
> freezing chiles, mostly habaneros, for the last couple of years, and
> removing them from cold storage when I need them to make hot sauce.
> I'm thinking that I might go one step further and attempt making a
> pepper puree with a vinegar base, the better to more immediately
> convert into sauce when the time comes (this would also facilitate
> experimentation with various pepper blends if I had them in puree form
> - 1 cup red habanero vs. "about 30" is a much more exact measurement).

jonathan, i have been doing this for several years, and am still
around...i have filled the blender with one or more variety(s) of
chiles, poured in some vinegar, whizzed it until it is liquid, well, a
thick liquid, then bottled and water bathed it...i probably use more
vinegar than is necessary, and the time in the water kills some of the
bad guys.

this serves for seasoning, sauces, additives (hab lime bread) and right
now i have at least three open jars in the fridge...a pint of red
serrano, half pint each of orange and chocolate hab, and a pint of
"bottom of the bucket" hot pepper relish that finished off the 08 OF crop...

this method has served me well...ymmv...

--

knoxbill

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”—Doug Larson