Re: [CH] Post Fields Post (warning: includes stupid beginner questions)

Ted Wagner (trwagner1@yahoo.com)
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 04:16:41 -0700 (PDT)

 Peter,

 One added thing.  I've been experimenting with adding peppers to bourbon for several years now.  For several years running, I add mint and a pepper or two (or three or four....etc) to a bottle of bourbon and bring it to Open Fields each year.

 Any aged alcohol you must experiment and learn from.  My experience is that if you aren't careful, although the alcohol will be "hot", it might taste really "off"... or let's just say "nasty".

 Herbs, like mint, are best added and then the alcohol used relatively quickly.  If not, over time, it will taste a bit earthy ... or a bit like grass (no pun or altered references intended).  One to two days with mint, then consumed quickly isn't too bad.

 I've found the same holds true with peppers to a certain extent.  Mike provided us with some fine cumari tequila.  While I love the lemon flavor of cumari, I found it went well with tequila.  The key is to use peppers you like and enjoy.

 One other additional thing you can experiment with (and save space) is to dehydrate and then grind your peppers.

 Ted