Re: [CH] Tony Flynn

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:00:44 -0700

Jim wrote:
> It is with a heavy heart that I report that Tony Flynn, LONG time member
> of the list, has passed away.  You might recall him as "Retired,
> Grandad, Bay O'Plenty".  He met many folks on his visit here.
>
> The world is a better place for there once walked within,
> beloved by chileheads and fishermen,
> the likes of which there hasn't been,
> a gentleman named Mr Tony Flynn.

Rest in Peace, old friend. You have now joined your beloved wife.

A lot of the old timers on the list got to know Tony and his love of hot
peppers, and he and I were back and forth a lot over the years. He was
within a couple of years of me, two if I remember so he would have been 81.
He was born in England, and was one of the children sent off to
Australia, Canada, New Zealand, during the dark days of World War Two
when England was besieged by the Nazis and it was believed that there
would be an invasion. Then of course, the Japanese made a mistake, and
hit Pearl Harbour, and the USA came into the war to join the rest of the
Free World which had been fighting since September 1939.
My one major regret is that I was unable to go to Open Fields the year
that Tony was there.

Indeed, as Jonathan wrote, He will be missed.

Doug Irvine on an Island in the Pacific