Re: [CH] Tony Flynn

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:57:40 -0700

jim wrote:
> He never actually made it out to the fields for the event, though I took him
> there both times he was over here.  He was here on his 'around the world
> trip' just prior to the fields one year.  He was to come out the next for
> the actual event but had a medical emergency and had to go back home the
> weekend before OF.  It seemed to me that several folks got to visit with him
> on those occasions.
>
> He was sent to the US, Doug.  That's why to his dying day he always flew the
> Stars & Stripes on all US Holidays.  He never forgot the kindness the
> country showed him as a kid... and made sure his neighbors knew why he flew
> it.  He'd also fly it when I was over to visit to show I was in residence :-)

Old memory needs jogging once in awhile! I remember that now, and the
reason for the US. His folks were afraid he would be torpedoed on a
British ship, and so he went to the States on an American ship.
I also recall the big kefuffle when he became ill, and had a huge fight
with his ensurers who didn't want to pay for anything, and he kept
getting bills after he returned to NZ.
He was some ticked at his travel insurance company!

Doug