Re: [CH] The Spicy Lover's Thanksgiving Menu

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:25:31 -0600

Kris Kumler wrote:

> http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/11/the-spicy-lovers-thanksgiving-menu.html

> This did look like a lovely roundup, including:

> Habanero-Brined Roasted Turkey with Cranberry Kumquat Chutney
> Chile Roasted Corn Pudding
> Hot Salami Carrots
> Creamed Spinach with Roasted Jalapenos

> Hopefully someone finds it interesting or fruitful.  Anyway, Happy
> Thanksgiving everyone!

Thanks. I found the additional side dish I am taking over the river
and through the woods to my brother's house ... the Hot Salami
Carrots. I will substitute a 1# bag of ripple cut (wavy) carrot rounds
for the baby carrots.

And my notorious "Dirty Dave's Deviled Eggs" using Colman's Dry
Mustard in largish amounts when preparing the yolks ... and
substituting  a sprinkle of cayenne for the paprika garnish that is
traditional. I also make 'em look like eyeballs by adding a black
olive slice in the middle of the filling.   Bv)=

I am also taking this for dessert ... with a sprinkling of Rev. Jim
Campbell's ground chipotle between the layers for a subtle "kick".

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Pumpkin-Pecan Pie
  Categories: Pies, Squash, Nuts, Pastry
       Yield: 6 Servings

       1    Unbaked 9-inch pie shell

MMMMM----------------------PUMPKIN FILLING--------------------------
       1 lg Egg; slightly beaten
       1 c  Pumpkin purée
     1/3 c  Sugar
       1 tb Heavy cream, half-and-half
            - or whole milk
     1/2 ts Cinnamon; rounded
     1/4 ts Nutmeg
     1/4 ts Ground ginger

MMMMM----------------------PECAN FILLING----------------------------
       2 lg Eggs; slightly beaten
     2/3 c  Light corn syrup (Karo)
     1/2 c  Sugar
       3 tb Butter; melted
     1/2 ts Vanilla extract
       1 c  Chopped pecans *

   * I've made this with (English) walnuts, as well. Tried it
   once with Black Walnuts but the pie was not so successful.

   This is an excellent pie. The layers remain separate and
   distinct, and the flavors compliment each other beautifully.

   Preheat oven to 375°F.

   For the pumpkin layer, combine 1 egg, pumpkin, 1/3 c sugar,
   cream, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Spread gently over bottom
   of unbaked pie shell.

   For the pecan layer, combine 2 eggs, corn syrup, 1/2 c sugar,
   butter and vanilla. Stir in pecans. Gently spoon mixture over
   pumpkin layer in pie shell.

   Bake for 50 minutes.

   FROM: Texas Cooking Online's Weekly E-mail

   MM Format by Dave Drum; 19 November 2009

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAHOOOOAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but
to accept God's final word on where your lips end. -- Jerry Seinfeld