Re: [CH] Paprika Comparisons

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:20:25 -0800

Alex Silbajoris wrote:

> Thanks, Doug!  I would add that there are some "sweet paprika" varieties with very little heat but good rich pepper flavor, that's a good way to enjoy the taste without burning.

  Yes, that is where the ordinary Hungarian paprika comes into play.
Seems that a lot of folks just use paprika for color on whatever, such
as scrambled, poached or fried eggs. If we just wanted color (and really
why bother) that is likely what I would do as well. HOWEVER! That aint
the name of the game most chile heads play with their food! Anything red
in OUR food has gotta have some hot flavor to it, with the possible
exception of adding red bell peppers to salads etc.
That long cooked pork dish yesterday aforementioned, had one 6" long red
chile pepper cut in two pieces, and one whole chipotle. That had turned
to mush after 6 hours in the crock pot. When Marie plated our meal, she
draped that mushy chipotle over the chunk of pork on my plate! When I
looked I just had to laugh! Does she know the old guy? Guess so, after
over 60 years. She however took one of the long red halves on HER plate,
so we were both chilified! That a word, Alex? Actually it was a pretty
good meal. As usual, I am always told.
Cheers,
Doug in BC where the rain has stopped. for about 24 hours! The pineapple
express is still bringing warm air laden with water from Hawaii, and
some communities are under flood watch on the Island