Re: [CH] Sauce bases

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Sat, 10 Jul 2010 18:22:37 -0500

On 7/10/2010 17:17, Jonathan Smillie wrote:

> Hi all,

> Getting ready to make another batch or three of sauce this summer, and
> I'm looking for creative ways of changing things up with some new
> recipes. One thing I've been looking at is using different ingredients
> in the base of my sauce, which is a traditional Caribbean carrot/onion.
> Since using it in a couple of recipes recently, I've been toying with
> the idea of substituting jicama for the carrot - it has some of the same
> fibrous texture, the same sweetness and would, I think, shred and puree
> well.

> My concern is that I've only used it raw - I don't know its properties
> cooked. Has anyone tried incorporating this into sauce, and have wisdom
> to share?

You mean to tell me that people actually eat that stuff? It's not just
a mailing list joke about salsa recipes???   ;-)

Here's a recipe I just last week made a batch of using some
"distressed" serranos I found on mark-down at the local stupormarkup.
Like my YAAAAHHHHOOOOAAAAHHHH sauce, every batch is different.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

        Title: Easy Hot Sauce
   Categories: Five, Sauces, Chilies
        Yield: 1 /2 cup

       20 lg Fresh chilies; roasted,
             - stemmed & seeded *
        2 cl Garlic; rough chopped
      1/2 c  Vinegar
             Salt

   * Use Anaheim, Jalapeno, Serrano, Tabasco or Cayenne
   depending on your desire for heat.

   Broil chilies for about 5 minutes or until the skin blisters
   and blackens. Transfer to a paper bag and let stand for about
   10 minutes. Peel when cool, stem, seed and rough chop.

   Place the chilies and garlic in a blender or food processor.
   With the machine running, slowly add the vinegar until the
   mixture is well blended.

   Add salt to taste.

   Keep covered and refrigerated until use.

   Yield: 1/2 cup

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 01 November 2001

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAAAAHHHHOOOOAAAAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... The motivation for all personal behavior is to produce a sense of
"FEEL GOOD," a sense of inner peace and well being. To expect a person
to go against his desire to feel good or as good as he can feel under
any momentary condition is illogical and irrational. In the
observation of human behavior, one will notice every human act is a
response to a personal need. This is true whether one signs a million
dollar contract, scratches one's nose, rolls over in bed, or just day
dreams his life away. People will do things which seem contrary to
this concept, but the bottom line is they perceive some kind of payoff
which will make them feel good. And the payoff is almost always
emotional. When you ask people why they want to be financially
independent, they might say that they could buy things without having
to worry about where the money will come from. And when they worry,
they don't FEEL GOOD. A chilehead, a compulsive eater, an alcoholic
and anyone with a compulsive habit will continue with their habits
because at the moment of action they believe and feel it will make
them feel good. That is why breaking compulsive habits are so
difficult. -- Sidney Madwed