RE: [CH] "Vinegar Powder" - Citric Acid

Rich Stevens (rstevens15@verizon.net)
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:36:26 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of AndyB
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:46 PM
To: Constance Allen; chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Cc: Tom Greaves
Subject: Re: [CH] "Vinegar Powder" - Citric Acid

  Constance,

Perhaps.  Worth a try.  I have two types of comments:

1) Pure (anhydrous) citric acid is a white powder.  Having a pH of 2.2 (for
0.1 normal solution),  it is a stronger acid than acetic acid (pH 2.4).   I
checked the MSDS info, and, due to its high acidity, it is rated as a very
hazardous material either in  the powder form or in any strong solution
(20%).

Lower concentrations, of course, are safe to consume.  For example,  lemon
and
lime juice are about 5% citric acid.  I strongly suspect that the "powdered
citric acid" that you obtained is likely well diluted with some powder, such
as
a form of dextrin or corn starch.  It _may_ contain flavorings.

2) The vinegar powder is likely to have some flavorings.  If natural
flavorings
are used, the vinegar powder is likely to have a different taste than that
of
the "citric acid powder".

AndyB