Re: [CH] Chile Sauce and growing Poblano questions

Robert Opersteny (docpepr@ccwip.net)
Mon, 16 May 2011 12:22:51 -0500

Hey Gard and CH'rs,
I think you raised an important point in how to get the most pungency and
flavor from your Chile of choice.
I tested some Hatch New Mex Salsa for heat, using two different cooking
methods- Roasting and Boiling.
The Boiled salsa, which was blended to smooth consistency after boiling, was
still flavorful, but with more of a "green" edge.
I tried adding vegetable oil, similar to the boiled and blended Jalapeno
salsa at local Tex-Mex Taquerias, but it never attained "CH-Approved".
The heat level had to be raised by adding Serranos and Habaneros, at least
for the typical CH palate, but boiling left the "green" edge.
The batch that was roasted (on a propane fired BBQ grill) was partially
peeled of skin, but only the "blackened" part that puffed-up and separated
easily by rolling around on the grill.  To make Salsa, these are left in
plastic Bags to rest, cool, and collect the "nectar" that condenses and I
think, better extracts the skin oils (and pungency) back into the fluid.
These were also blended to a smooth consistency, with noticeably added
color, interesting consistency "Flecks" and flavor from caramel-ization and
remaining carbonized skin encrustations.
What was amazing is the "heat" level was about twice as pungent.
There was some variation in color from the red/green chile mix, but the
capsaicin must be getting extracted better when roasted or skillet-toasted,
as opposed to the limited cooking temperature (100 deg C) of boiling water?
The experimental results have been duplicated by my both local Pit-BBQ
Supplier and Hatch-loving friends, who used to boil their chiles to save
time or when there was no room on the pit.
They have seen the difference that roasing the skin at higher temperature
makes to flavor, in addition to using the skin-oil to better extract
capsaicins into the recipe.
They agree, whether mesquite coal-fired or gas-fired, that ROASTING
thick-skinned chiles bring out the best Chile-Head properties!
Regards-

Bob Opersteny

DocPepr's Chiles in the ground-
Persimmon Orchard-shaded sun shining on