Re: [CH] Non-fruiting habaneros

Valerie (seabreeze@concentric.net)
Thu, 03 Jun 1999 10:09:33 -0500

Same thing happened to my habs last year. They were full and bushy, but
no flowers or fruit until late August or early September. Then once they
started there was no stopping them! I had nice Red Savinas on the plants
thru the Christmas season (plants were in pots, came inside late Oct.) I
overwintered 3 of them and so far no fruit, but tons of flowers-which
have been falling off as soon as they get to the point that they would
set fruit. But that's more than what I had at this time last year!

Something that I don't get tho, someone wrote in that the flowers need
to be pollinated before they'll set fruit. I had been under the
impression
that flowers need to be pollinated if you want the seeds of the fruit
that will be produced to be fertile. Am I wrong on this? Should I be
trying to pollinate these flowers so that they will set fruit? I don't
save seed, so I never thought this was an issue! If someone could clear
this for me I'd appreciate it.
Thanx in advance!
Valerie

Ron Hay wrote:
>.but no fruit
> until about September, and then they really went to town, becoming
> absolutely festooned by gorgeous orange fruit.
> Beats me, but it could be they are more day-length dependent than
> heat-dependent on setting fruit. El Grande knows, we had enough
> 100-degree plus days last summer, so it cannot have had anything to do
> with the heat. But they started fruiting in September and kept it up
> until late November. Any other ideas?
 Ron Hay,

--
Valerie & Misty ()
My Lady Jazzmin CD, TT, CGC (waiting at the bridge)

aka: Breeze
ICQ# 3953329
http://www.Geocities.com/Heartland/Shores/3983/peppers.html