Re: [CH] Preserving Salsas

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 07:31:01 +0200

Robert Farr wrote:

> I'm looking to add several salsas to my hot sauce line, and wonder what
> I need to do to make them shelf stable.
> Any idea how the big boys (Pace, et al) do this??

Maybe the below could be of use, potassium sorbate and sodium
benzoate are generally considered very safe.

Kristofer

----------

Date sent:      	Wed, 12 May 1999 23:04:40 +0200
To:             	foodsafe@nal.usda.gov
From:           	"Dr. Oren Ben-Israel" <benisrael@pentaor.com>
Subject:        	Pentaor’s Tip

Pentaor’s Tip:

Q: How to increase the anti-microbial effectiveness of preservatives
like benzoic acid, propionic acid, sorbic acid and sulfites?

A: To lower the pH.
Benzoic acid is mostly effective in pH lower than 4.0;
Propionic acid - pH lower than 5.0;
Sorbic acid - pH lower than 6.5;
Sulfites - pH lower than 4.5.
For high pH values (7.0 and above), preservatives like parabens will
be effective.

Dr. Oren Ben-Israel
Pentaor - R&D and Consulting in Biotechnology and Food Engineering
http://www.pentaor.com/

Attention: Pentaor tips are presented as general ideas only.
Before any implementation of these tips, the reader has to verify
their contents. The author will not be responsible for any
consequence due to the use of these tips.