Re: [CH] Chile-Heads Digest V6 #350

Dave Hendricks (bvdrangs@enter.net)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 06:18:58 -0400

> From: charles keith welsh <ckwelsh@mindspring.com>
> Subject: [CH] Sore knees
> This past Saturday I, with the help of and Amish family, planted 1100
> chile plants.  Then I came home and planted 100 more in my back yard. The
> 1100, which are mostly serrano for my salsa, were started by a guy in New
> Holland PA for $8.00 per flat!. As I had posted earlier, the ones at home
> came for multiple seed sources and Cross Country Nurseries in NJ. They
> arrived on time and in perfect condition. I can't wait to harvest!

Charles, you mention New Holland and the Amish so I figure you to
be in the Lancaster area.I am in Allentown.

$8 a flat is great but I could never use that many. I was camping
recently in the Poconos and the wife and I hit a flea market in
Saylorsburg. One guy there was selling chile plants and had about
10 varieties. I saw habeneros listed and picked up a four pack (fifty
cents) the seller warned me that the habs were hot. I said that I
knew. He said "Very Hot!" I started spouted off scoville units and I
guess that he understood then. What a hoot.

We also stopped in a "Giant" Supermarket in WindGap PA. Giant
always had a pretty good selection of hot sauces. I saw a bunch of
them in a bargain bin. I asked about them and found that they were
swithcing suppliers for hot sauces and removed all of the "old
stock" for quick sale. I grabbed some bargains for .99 and less
(Melindas was a real steal)

Hot weather in the northeast should give us all a good start on
those chili plants. Mine were slow to get going last year as May
and June were not that hot.

Dave Hendricks
bvdrangs@enter.net
Boomerangs, Beer, Bar-B-Que, Any Questions?