Re: [CH] Chiilis in Africa 2

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:40:15 RSA-2

> Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 07:57:21 +0200
> From: GrantL@za.sappi.com

Thanks for the reference and information.

> I have recently come across a Dr C Hromnik who believes that
> an early Dravidian empire in India had many links with various
> parts of the world from around the time of King Solomon to
> about three centuries ago.

There is much to support this.  These views were initially
dismissed by the main stream but it is becoming harder for them
to deny physical evidence.  Africa was probably a source of
minerals mainly gold but obviously other trade.  Customs and
food would have had the chance to intermingle and if the traders
set up mining operations or buildings even more so.  There are
many ruins on the east coast of Africa including Great Zimbabwe
that probably were built to their plans.

> They brought chillie to India for their curries and also
> traded with Africa. So it seems probable that either the great
> trading nations of India or King Solomon distributed a vast
> array of produce and technology long before any European
> influence.

Pepper use in South America can be dated to 7000 BC [B.
Pickersgill].  The domesticated species had their centre of
origin as South America.  If accounts of peppers in
continents other than South/North America are true.  All we have
to do is figure out how they made the intercontinental trip.

If Indian, Arab and Israelite traders had peppers prior to
Columbus (ca 1493) and King Solomon reigned 974 BC..937 BC.
Then the normal mode of transport assumed to be available at the
the time, might just not be suitable for this trip.

Conventional thinking may no longer apply.  This in itself is
not strange or even unusual as there are many unsolved mysteries.

Peter