Re: [CH] Chiilis in Africa 2

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:04:43 -0500

Tantrika wrote:

> how could there possibly be Chilis in the Early Dravidian empire and King
> Solomon's time when Chilis come from South America, originally, are not
> indegenous to africa, and the new world not discovered til 1492?  this
> makes no sense.
>
> If this were possible, then chilis would have had cultivars flourishing in
> Africa and I would assume then Europe long before Spain's conquest, and
> there is nothing to indicate that.
>
> I think Dr C Hromnik  is smoking his chili's in a pipe rather than eating them!

Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger, don't you think. That
Columbus guy got a lot of publicity. But, Eric the Red (or maybe his
son Leif - or both) made regular trips to North America hundreds of
years before Cristobal Colon conned Isabella into hocking the crown
jewels to get him out of town before Ferdy caught on to why he was
really hanging about.

The rafting expeditions of Thor Heyerdaal (both Kon Tiki and the reed
thing) demonstrate that transoceanic voyages were certainly possible
and were very probably made... well before 1492.

And what of the oceangoing Polynesian canoes? A repro one of those is
headed for Easter Island as I type this. This particular vessel has
logged over 100K
miles (160K kilometers) prior to the Easter Island trip. If they could
hit Easter Island surely they could call in ar the South Amerian
continent as well as Asia.

I don't think that peppers got as widespread in the world as they have
become solely as a result of the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria.

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider