Re: [CH] Chiles in Africa 2

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:08:04 RSA-2

Hi Myron

I will not bore the list further.

On 19 Jun 99 at 17:36, Myron Menaker wrote:

I think what I was trying to say that in mans known history is
there another example of this blind luck expansion without the
knowledge of success ever being able to return to the starting
point?

I know of no people that simply sent 1000s off to what to them
was certain death for none could return.  Not only that they
sent off the women as well.  Not what you would do in the hit
and miss blind luck navigation proposed.

> Well, the philosophers and mathematicians can fight over this one ad
> infinitum!

Not required. ;-)

> If, over the course of 1000 years, 1000 rafts set sail from South
> America and there are 1000's of islands in the Pacific, don't you think
> a number of them would have made land-fall!?

See above the knowledge never got back because it is a one way
trip.

> After all, Columbus likewise did not know where the hell he was going,
> and his fleet, going wherever the winds carried him, hit a tiny island!

Sure but he got back to tell of his discovery and how to get to
it.  Big difference.

The promoters of this type of hit and miss trip ignore the fact
that they can work out from present knowledge how it could have
been done.  This invariably requires a huge degree of
contortions in making changes at the exact point in the trip.
What they are not saying is that they are not just simply
drifting.  They do not explain how without this knowledge it
was done using luck.

On a 2000 mile trip blindfold yourself and hit any large town.
I think you will agree that the degree of luck needed is great
indeed.

> Capsicum Rex works in strange and mysterious ways!

Simply that we don't know what really went on at the time.

Enjoy the beach

Cheers
Peter
-- Peter Moss

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you
don't want Linux'". - Bruce Perens