Re: [CH] V6 #2 Chinense

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 08:10:08 -0500

Hi CH's,
Brent T. wrote of C. chinense:

>I don't know this to be fact, but the probable reason is that this species
>most likely had been disseminated to China (Macau) by the Portuguese long
>before the first European botanists saw it, and the first specimens they
>saw were from China and at first believed they must be native to China.

Or perhaps because many of the pods resemble chinese lanterns?

I just looked it up. Name given by the Dutch physician Nikolaus von
Jaquin who wrote "I have taken the plant's name from its homeland."
So I guess that we both could be correct!

BTW -  The "Bolivian rainbows" I am growing are C. frutescens not
chinense. The flowers are solitary.

---
                      Regards,               Cameron.