RE: [CH] V6 #3 Chinense

Tony O'Brien (AOB@als.co.uk)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:54:15 +0100

Hi Cameron,

I've just checked both of my Bolivian Rainbows and the flowers seem to be
solitary. At first however I wasn't sure since there seemed to be double or
even triple flowers at some points, but these always corresponded to places
where multiple leaves also stemmed from roughly the same place......still
despite this the majority are still loners.

ps. I also have these down as C. Frutescens.

cheers,
Tony.

-----Original Message-----
From: Cameron Begg [mailto:begg.4@osu.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 09, 1999 2:01 PM
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: Re: [CH] V6 #3 Chinense

Hi C-H's,
I wrote:

>BTW -  The "Bolivian rainbows" I am growing are C. frutescens not
>chinense. The flowers are solitary.

But I was wrong. The foliage is very dark and I am far sighted (as
most of you can infer!), and that makes it hard to distinguish the
forming flowers, but last night I checked with a hand lens and there
are two flowers growing in each leaf axil. However I checked various
sources and they nearly all list "Bolivian rainbow" as C. frutescens.
What's going on? Are there different species of plants which share
the same name, or have the original rainbows crossed with other
species? Would you mind examining your plants and let me know?
Thanks.

---
                      Regards,               Cameron.