Re: [CH] Plants That Repel Animals

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 23:28:35 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, RST G wrote:

> Next year, mid year, I am moving to my new house in Oxford, NJ and there
> have been spottings of Bears, Deer and Raccoons about 1000 ft from my
> "community." Before I plant anything, I want to know if there are any
> plants I can grow (not necessarily chiles) that will repel some of these
> animals. I am not used to growing anything with animals this big around.
> I usually have to deal with squirrels and cats and that is about it. Any
> help with information on this would be appreciated.

Well, my advice is to do like I did.  Sine the Groundhawg is back and
squirrels are gnawing at my green tomatoes, I went to Wally-wirld and
bought *60* mousetraps for about $15 american.  I have mousetraps all
over.  The theory isn't so much that I'll one morning go up to the garden
and chile patch  and find a grounhawg in a mousetrap as much as it is that
the animal that trespasses will get smashed toes.

I figure this is about as good as any other technique as once an animal
gets a smashed toe it will be hesitiant upon entering the garden, then all
it will take is a trap going off somehwere and the "SNAP" will send the
rodent flying.  I don't see why this wouldn't wirk on bears, although
mosse may react differently.

carp