Re: [CH] Re: deer repellent plants

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:11:51 -0500

Babs, et al-
I live in an area where I see deer every day when I'm out of town on a job.
Trust me when I say a 6' fence is not a problem for them.  A friend grows
peanuts, which deer LOVE, and his fences are 9' all the way around his field.
He says he still sees a few give it a try now and then, even at 9'.  Mind you,
these deer are not starving, and are not running for their lives, they just like
peanuts.
My friend has trouble with them eating his garden, too, but he says hanging
little containers around with mothballs has cut it way back.  Never tried it
myself, I don't live far enough out for deer to be a problem.  Might persuade
rodents to back off.  I have been in on the construction of some storage units
for gas pipeline facilities where rats and skunks are a problem, and we always
threw a couple of boxes of mothballs under the units before they were set:  no
skunks and no rats, even after 3 years.
Calvin