Re: [CH] Re: deer repellent plants

Babs Woods (babs@jfwhome.funhouse.com)
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:24:01 -0400

        Chuck Demas writes:

[I'd written about Outdoor Bitter Magic not deterring squirrels.]

> Have you tried some cheap ground cayanne mixed with the birdseed?

Yes, we've tried this.  It didn't seem to affect the squirrels.  We've
also made our own "bird blocks" (suet and birdseed) and added cayenne.
In fact, we also used ground habanero in the birdfeeder with seeds, and
it didn't seem to affect the squirrels, either.  You'd think it would.
Know anyone with a spare howitzer?

> I've found 4 oz containers of cayanne at craft shops for a dollar.
> I think the brand is Spice World or the like.  Not great spice, but it's
> cheap. :-)

Spice Island?

> I'd suggest some ground savina habanero, but it's a pricier solution.

If I ever find something that repels the squirrels, I'm not going to care
what that pepper or ground pepper costs.  I don't know what it is with these
squirrels.

Tantrika wrote from the depths of Bambiland.

Yeah, I guess I'll be planting some more lavender, and seeing if I can grow
some rosemary outside the fence.  It might be too late to start some marigolds,
we grew them last year near the side of the garden fence near the house and I
don't recall a deer problem then.  Marigolds do tend to pong.  Over the course
of I guess the fall and the winter (I think we started spotting deer again
last fall) and then in the spring we've been seeing what appears now to have
been a doe and then she and her calf.  The deer we're being bothered by is
apparently that juvenile.  I didn't see the catalogue, but my SO noted
that
there is a tall fence available that's a fine mesh with mylar strips woven in.
Bambi can't really make out the scrimlike fence, but the flashing mylar
bothers them and they don't try to leap such a fence as a result.  We're
considering installing one this fall.  Since we don't have pets, this is
something we may have to go with.

We haven't put roses in yet, but I'll remember to try to protect them from
Bambi.  Who'd've thought Bambi would be such a terror?

Right now, my real worry has been this drought.  My peppers are being
stressed hard, and they went in late, too.

                                -babs

--
"Excuse me while I dance a little jig of despair."