Re: [CH] have you noticed

Donald R Jordan (drjordan@rocketmail.com)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 07:13:03 -0700 (PDT)

---Chet Bacon <chet@chetbacon.com> wrote:

> In a quest for further info about peppers and heat..
>
> Just wondering if you folks noticed that various peppers heat only
> certain areas of the mouth and throat?
<snip>
> Wondering if any of you notice similar experiences?

Most definitely.  Furthermore, I think the sensitivity of these areas
varies from person to person.  My wife claims some dishes I've made
are too hot to eat when I can't even taste the heat, and I've made
some pleasantly spicy ones (using other peppers) where she can't
detect a thing! This would be very interesting to pursue and catalog...

> I would think that it is due to capsaicinoid variations?

I remember reading somewhere that the capsaicin oleoresins have
several different "flavors," the combinations of which account for the
various experiences described.

===
-DrJ-
Helotes, Texas