Re: [CH]V6 #10 have you noticed

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:39:58 -0500

Hi C-H's,

Following Chet Bacon's post, Don Jordan wrote:

>I remember reading somewhere that the capsaicin oleoresins have
>several different "flavors," the combinations of which account for the
>various experiences described.

Gary Allen once wrote to the list:

Capsaicin:      Hot component of chile peppers. The hotness of peppers
is not controlled solely by the amount of capsaicin they contain.
Apparently, there are a number of different forms of capsaicin-like
substances, with varying molecular shapes and lengths. The shorter forms
are supposed to be hotter, but the hotness lasts for less time. This
structural approach might explain some otherwise inexplicable effects,
such as some chiles "attacking" the mouth, some the throat, and some the
sinuses. The hotness of the varieties of chile deserves the same kind of
attention directed at grape varietals. Other Capsaicinoids are
Dihydrocapsaicin, Nordihydrocapsaicin, Homodihydrocapsaicin,
Homocapsaicin, Nonanoic Acid Vanillylamide and Decanoic Acid Vanillylamide.

This is borne out by my experiences with different species of Cs.,
particularly the pubescens.

Any comments George?

---
                      Regards,               Cameron.