Re: [CH] Wabbit Wecipe anyone ??

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:21:45 -0500

Wuke-
Here's the wabbit wecipe I gwew up (and out) on.
Dry Mix:
1 cup crushed and powdered corn flakes
1/2 cup whole or white wheat flour
2 tsp season salt
1/2 tsp chile powder (or 2 or 3??)
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp finely crushed tarragon or sub. coriander
    Mix all together, roll rabbit in mix to coat, brown in deep skillet
or dutch oven in olive oil.
    Remove rabbit pieces and set aside.
    Add regular flour to cracklings and olive oil (about 1:1 ratio), need
about 1/2 cup flour or so for gravy sauce.
    Heat oil/flour/cracklings, stirring, until light odor of bread starts
to appear.(Gets thick and pastey)
    Let cool 5 minutes, stir in 6+ cups milk to make gravy.  Bring to a
boil, stirring to prevent sticking.  Gravy should thicken and lumps
dissolve after a little boiling. Stir in enough half&half to cover rabbit
pieces.  Add more chile powder and salt to gravy if desired.
    Place rabbit in pot, bones sticking up for handles.  Cover all meat
if possible.
Bake, covered, 1 1/2 hours at 275-300 degrees F.
Serve gravy over wild rice, with buttered yeast rolls, tossed salad on
the side.

I learned to cook this from my mother, who is an excellent wild game
cook. (I did add chile powder, she doesn't use very much.) She often
served rabbit with corn bread, sweeter than usual, with whole kernel corn
and chopped peppers added.  MMMmmmm.