Re: [CH] El Yucateco

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:33:36 -0500

Ron-
Sounds like you hit the jackpot.  Pickled manzanos and Aji A.!!!! My
favorite 2 pods.
Anything with those two has got to be good.  Even though I gag on vinegar,
I'd have a really hard time leaving the store without some.
My Aji plants are 4'+ tall and putting on fruit.  I solved the problem of
the afternoon heat with a couple of overhead Japanese Okra vines- my first
try at growing them. I ran 2 lines over the garden and started the okra.
It took 3 weeks to grow the 10' to the top, and the vines are now 30'
long.  With leaves 12" across, they cool the noon sun.  I do have to trim
the new runners back 2' or so every other day to keep them out of the
pepper plants, though. (This vine literally grows a foot a day on each of
many branches.)  I started getting increased fruit set as well as plant
growth coincident with the shade.  The okra flowers also bring in the
bees.  Wish I could cross them with Ajis.
One good thing is that the shade is wife-friendly (she doesn't like the
gypsy look.).......;^)
Calvin